Hope Book Cover Feedback

As children we were taught to never judge a book by its cover. Yet when a reader goes online, or into a bookstore in search of their next read, the first thing they look for is a cover that draws their eye and speaks to them on an emotional level. For nearly everything we buy, from our cell phones to our automobiles, appearance is one of the top five considerations that factors heavily into the buying decision. Beyond ensuring your cover does not look like an amateur's first attempt we have very little control over how the public will perceive our work. We can look at what's currently in the genre for our upcoming release and see what's selling well. But that is no guarantee as readers taste are subjective, and there is no magic formula out there to tell us what will sell, and what won't.

With that in mind I come before you today to ask a favor. I have a release coming soon and in addition to working on the editing I've also been putting together the cover. I'm looking for some solid, honest, feedback.


Original cover


What do you honestly think of this cover?

Give me your thoughts in the comments below and after Hope is released I will happily provide you with a free copy in the electronic format of your choice. Shoot me an email after you have commented to rschiver@gmail.com and when Hope is released later this year I'll send you a copy absolutely free, no strings attached.

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I also posted this cover on Facebook and Goodreads, the feedback from all sources has been great, thahk you everyone.

I've updated the cover, what do you think?

Updated 8-10-2015

The latest version updated 8-11-2015


The latest version, updated 8-12-2015


Version 11, updated 8-13-2015



Change of direction here to better illustrate the story. Don't worry hte hope cover will still be used.


The finished cover. Thanks everyone for your honest feedback. It helped tremendously.



17 comments:

  1. I think there is some power in this. It takes what we want to be safe and imposes the danger over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trishfranks2@gmail.com (Trish Franks)August 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM

    Kinda creepy. The title and the biohazard symbol with the bear ,makes me think that it is going be scary. I LIKE IT! If I saw this on the shelf and make me stop
    me stop to read what the book is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read voraciously. I will pick a book based on the cover art.
    Pros: Dark and ominous, Teddy bear lets me know that kids are involved, explanation of "coming of age" lets me know someone will survive
    Gritty looking
    I would pick this up in a bookstore and give it a look or two
    Cons: average consumer may not see past the hundreds of bright red/orange or black covers surrounding this book.
    Overall I judge that I would pick this book up in a store because it is NOT orange or black. It looks ominous but approachable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wanda, dark and ominous, the kind of reader I'm looking for.

      Delete
  4. Like it but I might pass it as I didn't notice it was a bear. If it hastill something that makes it pop a bit and see it's a bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I've enlarged the bear in the updated version, what do you think?

      Delete
    2. Can now see the bear. It did loose a bit of ominous look that the biohazard symbol had but it seems all the books no have that symbol to make it seem dark. Need that dark alluring something that will bring in the readers.
      At first glance will look at it but only after seeing reviews are.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your feedback Heather, I'm still working through a lot of the feedback I've gotten and it has helped solidify the image in my mind. Now to just get that onto the page without losing all the little detail that will make it pop.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the updated cover, but the original really caught my eye. The biohazard symbol and the bear just sitting there is jarring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Michael and sharing your thoughts. I agree there was an emotional impact to the original that I feel I've lost in the revisions.

      Delete
  7. I like the original cover best, (it had a hard hitting emotional impact) although the drop shadow on the bear is a little funky and seems like it should be oblong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts AlixeTiir, like I told Michael above I believe I've lost that gut punch impact in the revisions. Will have to work on that.

      Delete
  8. Heather, Michael, and Wanda, please contact me at rschiver@gmail.com so I can get your free book to you.

    ReplyDelete