Fridays 5 with M.E. Tudor

1.) When did you first get serious about writing?

A.) I've gone through serious spells with writing from junior high into adult hood. Fifteen years ago I became serious enough to complete a book and try to sell it. I didn't get any takers so I posted on an online site for my genre. I developed some fans from that. Then, in 2010 I started writing a new young adult lesbian fiction romance. I finished it in 2012 and found a small publisher to publish it. I've been going full steam ever since.

2.) What is the hardest part for you about writing?

A.) Editing. I hate editing. I have people who help me with editing but it is still my least favorite thing to do.

3.) How did you feel upon publication of your first completed project?

A.) I was elated for about a minute. The publisher had not properly formatted the book so the first round of print copies were messed up. I only had a handful of sales until it went digital and then it went crazy. I still have really good sales on that book despite there still being a lot of editorial problems. That experience is what prompted me to self-publish and I won't look back. I love having complete control of my work.

4.) What is more important to you, story, or character? Why?

A.) For me, my characters are the most important part of the story. If you write characters that people fall in love with everything else will fall into place. I've read a lot of books that I can't tell you much about the plot, but I can tell you about the characters and how they effected me.

5.) What is a typical day like in your world?

A.)  My life is beyond insane. My partner and I both work full-time jobs, we're raising and homeschooling three of our nine grandchildren. Most mornings I try to get up between 5:30 and 6:30 so I'll have writing time before my 21 month old grandson gets up. Once he's up, I start cleaning and getting homework together for his 10 and 8 year old brother and sister. The most of the rest of the day is doing homework, going to my job as a librarian, and coming home after 8 in the evening. I usually work during my lunch break and for a few hours after I get home. I try to work 4 to 6 hours on my days off. Despite all the craziness in my life, I manage to get a lot of writing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment