Fridays 5 with Bryan Romer

I was trained as a Charted Accountant. I've been a CFO, General Manager, and Project Director for a multi-national corporation. Now I am a full time writer, living in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm single, never married. I love reading, especially classical SF and Military SF, as well as Historical Warfare.
I've always loved science fiction. From H.G. Well's "First Men In The Moon", to David Drake's "Hammer's Slammers" and Keith Laumer's "Bolo", with a particular emphasis on military SF. But I enjoy a good hard boiled thriller too, in the vein of Donald Hamilton's "Matt Helm" and Larry Correia's "Monster Hunter". So you can guess where my books will be headed.

As the GM and CFO of a private military contractor, I've walked in war zones armed with nothing but a camera and calculator. I'm multi lingual, I've worked on tiny Pacific Islands that were being ripped apart by hurricanes, and prowled the crowded streets and nightspots of the Far East. But during all of that, I've always written stories. Sometimes for free and for the heck of it, other times for money.

While I have over 30 novels published and on sale, "Vampire-Tech" is my first Science Fiction book.

Want to talk to me? mr.bryan.romer@gmail.com
My website is www.vwsinger.com 
1.) When did you first get serious about writing?
A.) I've been experimenting with writing fiction for a very long time, but I never wanted to be
an author for a major publisher and be required to write according to house rules and be under the control of their editors. It was only with the Internet that I began to write short stories and posting on the Net to gauge public response. I set up my first website of stories around the 1990s, and my first book was a compilation and expansion of one of these stories. This was published under a different pen name. I published my first SF/Horror novel, Vampire-Tech in 2014 followed by a sequel in 2015. Both reached the Amazon Top 100 for Vampire novels and stayed there for about three months.
2.) What is the hardest part for you about writing?
A.) I'm a natural story teller. I really enjoy writing and creating fictional worlds. Being an accountant, research and detail isn't a problem. I have done a lot of photography and CDI art, so visualisation and world creation isn't a problem either. I never get "writer's block" and because I write to satisfy my own muse, I never doubt what I am doing either. That isn't arrogance or a surfeit of self confidence. When I write, I do my best to create a worthy piece of work, but I don't much care what others thing if it. I know what I have to say, and I know how to say it. Anyway, you can't hope to please everyone.

Click on cover for more info or to order!
Synopsis: The accidental discovery of alien artifacts have brought werewolves back to modern day Britain. But through that same accident, test pilot Tara Harker was turned into a vampire. Even more incredibly, she discovers that Dracula is very real and is her only ally against her enemy and newly turned werewolf, Viktor Tiranul.

Now in the second book of the series, Tara is forced to embrace her vampire status as the existence of werewolves becomes a plague, spreading out of control and into the streets of a terrified Britain, drawing the Government and its agencies into the struggle. But powerful human interests who desire to control the technology that created both werewolves and vampires present just as much of a threat to herself and everyone she loves, including her father the brilliant scientist Rowland Harker. Can she battle and survive these multiple threats while still remaining human? And will her most powerful ally, Dracula himself, prove to be a blessing or a curse?

The gripping science-fiction horror adventure that started in the novel Vampire-Tech brings ancient legends into the present and right into the future. No magic, no curses, just technology – vampire technology.
3.) How did you feel upon publication of your first completed project?
A.) It was amazing, as if I suddenly was able to fly. Income was secondary to me at that point. I just wanted to see if anyone shared my world view and would like the tale I had to tell.
4.) What is more important to you, story, or character? Why?
A.) The story definitely comes first. It defines the world and situations in which my characters will have to operate. I write plot heavy stories, so it never works to allow the characters backgrounds, skills (or lack of them), and personalities to drive the progress of the book since the actions of both heroes and villains have to bring them into conflict at the right time and under the right circumstances for each plot point.
5.) What is a typical day like in your world?
A.) Most of my time apart from the necessities of life are spent on my computer, writing, researching, participating on forums and groups, not just for publicity but often to share and help other authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment