Coming soon: The Ballerina and the Revolutionary

Coming Friday January 22, 2016

From Carmilla Voiez 




Excerpt -

Portraits loomed over my head. I shrank beneath the weight of their stares. My ears grasped echoes of resentful whispers and I hung my head in shame. Ashamed of what? I couldn’t remember, not really, perhaps it was purely that I wasn’t more like her.

I faced her door, shaking with fear, expecting her to rush out at any moment, screaming my name or slapping my face. I concentrated on my breathing, trying in vain to calm down. I was grown up now. She couldn’t hurt me anymore.

Mastering my fear, I opened her bedroom door and inspected the empty room. Vivienne’s huge bed crouched in the corner like a monster ready to pounce. Shadows lingered at the edges, a dark audience to mother’s regular performances. The air smelt stale. It reeked of old perfume, sweat and sex.

I marched to the wardrobe and opened the door. Frills burst forth from its bowels. I moved soft, delicate fabrics and checked behind them. No one lurked there. I pulled back the curtains and opened a window. Sunlight poured through the smeared glass, bouncing off Vivienne’s full-length mirror and flooding the room.

Breathing slower now, I sheathed my knife and strolled to the bedroom door. Already the air smelled fresher. I turned around as I reached the hallway, glancing back at the rich fabrics and heavily patterned wallpaper - a true boudoir, a shrine to her pleasure. I sighed and moved to walk away when something caught my eye. Turning back to the room, I watched as the décor altered.

 Subtly at first - the colour of the light-shade, a change of carpet then everything looked different. And there was Mother, centre stage, on the bed, naked, legs splayed and mounted by a huge man. Her flushed face fixed on me and I was a terrified ten-year-old girl once more.

‘What do you think you’re staring at?’ Vivienne demanded.

‘Maybe she wants to join in,’ the oily-voiced stranger suggested.

Join the party on Facebook (22 Jan)  https://www.facebook.com/events/1649693945292865/

 

5* review by Sheri A Wilkinson - “A well written story, filled with emotions. The vivid details made me feel as if I were experiencing life throw Crow's eyes. The story was very original, just when I thought I might have things figured out a new twist or surprise would surface. I recommend to those who like a good dramatic story with a twist of paranormal.”

5* review by Z. V. Adams - “A hauntingly beautiful, poetic read.”

4* review by Jef Rouner - “The mystery of the house and the bad things done there will keep you turning the page, but it's the beautifully flawed gender-queer uniqueness of Crow that will carry you along.”

5* review by Christina Escamilla - “The duality of dreams and the waking world really plays off into Crow's own introspection and how she begins to unfold buried secrets. There is the known versus the subversive that is almost rhythmic as you continue to learn more and more. Would definitely recommend!”

5* review by snscuster - “With her superb writing and understanding of her characters, Carmilla Voiez has brought light to a situation of tragedy and triumph so well that I think it should be considered required reading for high school students and beyond.”

5* review by Kate Marie Robbins - “It is by far the most intriguing, interesting, and unexpected book I have ever read. I couldn't put it down.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment