5 Questions with g Elmer Munson


1.) When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I think it took me a few years of writing crap before I started to consider myself a writer. I started writing when I was young. I had just discovered Clive Barker and Skipp and Spector and I tried to imitate their styles, so everything was very graphic but I failed miserably at storytelling. I thought if I threw enough blood on paper it would be horrifying, but it just ended up being horrible. After a few years break (and a lot of college) I returned to writing, and once I held my work in print I didn’t look back.

2.) What is the hardest part of writing?
Focusing on the current project. As I write this, I have two novels in progress, three others plotted and waiting, one novella in editing, and somewhere around fifteen short stories at various stages (not to mention older stories that I go back to every now and then to see what’s salvageable). I try to work on one thing at a time but the others just keep interrupting...

3.) How did you feel upon publication of your first completed project?
It was everything and nothing like I expected. I felt validated, like the many hours spent typing away resulted in something I could be proud of. At the same time, I thought, Holy crap, I need to get writing so the next book is even better. Maybe that’s why I have so much going on at once.

4.) In addition to writing, what else are you passionate about?
I’m very dedicated to spending time with my family. I’m also very into music and love being outdoors, particularly on the water. And, of course, I love my cats.

5.) If you could ask any author, living or dead, one question, what would it be?
I’d ask H.P. Lovecraft what it’s like to actually be insane.

g Elmer Munson is a New England writer of the strange and unusual as well as the horrors of everyday life. He lives with his family and a posse of various critters in a creaky farmhouse that's older than America herself. His first novel “Stripped” is available from Post Mortem Press and his short work can be found in various print anthologies.
Visit him at:  www.gElmerMunson.com
Twitter: @gElmerMunson

No comments:

Post a Comment