5Qs with Bryan Hall


1.) When did you first consider yourself a writer?

A.)  The minute I finished my first short story.  If you put pen to paper – or fingertips to keyboard – and create something then you're a writer. Success means different things to different people, for sure, but as far as just being a writer I consider anyone who's done something like that to be one.


2.) What is the hardest part of writing?

A.)  Confidence.  I read a blog from Neil Gaiman once where he talked about being three quarters of the way through a book and realizing it was pure and utter crap.  That nobody would want to read such drivel and that if they did they wouldn't understand it or would realize how terrible it was.  He told his agent (or publisher) that and they said "Oh you're at that part".  It happened to him every time – that moment of doubt that shut down his ability to keep writing.  I'm sure that's not the exact story word for word, but it's a good approximation of it.  And that same thing happens to me at a couple of points during anything I'm writing.  Keeping my confidence up can get tricky sometimes. 

3.) How did you feel upon publication of your first completed project?

A.)  Excited, for sure.  Almost in disbelief, as well.  I got very lucky in that the publisher I'd hoped would pick up my book did so rather quickly.  I'd reached the goal that I'd set for myself and was honestly in a bit of shock that it had happened.  Once the release came the reality of it set in.  It was very surreal.  Even now, a release does the same thing for me.  It's a good feeling to know that your stuff is getting out there in the world.

4.) In addition to writing, what else are you passionate about?

A.) Hobby-wise I keep bees and play video games.  I also read voraciously.  Other than writing those are my main pursuits, but I don't know if any of them can come close to what I get out of writing.


5.) If you could ask any author, living or dead, one question, what would it be?

A.)  I'd ask Clive Barker if he had any plans to get back to his roots and do some real old-fashioned horror writing like he used to.  I know he has to write what he's inspired to, but I'd really love another volume of The Books of Blood or a novel like The Damnation Game. 



Bio:
Bryan Hall is a horror and dark fiction author living deep within the mountains of North Carolina in a home he desperately wishes was haunted. Growing up in the Appalachia’s, he's soaked up three decades worth of legends, stories, culture, and characters - many of which weave their way into his work. When not writing, reading, or relaxing he can usually be found at his beehives.

He is an affiliate member of the Horror Writers Association and his debut novel Containment Room 7 was released by Permuted Press in 2011. Most recently he is also the author of The Southern Hauntings Saga from Angelic Knight Press. Additionally, his short fiction collection Whispers from the Dark is available on Amazon. You can find him online at www.bryanhallfiction.com.

His latest release The Vagrant can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087APS98

No comments:

Post a Comment