Throwback Thursday: The House on Haunted Hill

Okay, giving away my age here, but do you remember the old 1959 black and white horror movie, The House on Haunted Hill, starring Vincent Price?

There was a post on Facebook lately asking if anyone remembered the first horror movie they ever saw. The House on Haunted Hill was the very first horror movie I ever watched. I guess I should say attempted to watch. I had convinced my parents that I'd be okay watching the movie with them, it was the mid sixties and the movie had recently been released to network television. My Dad was really looking forward to watching it, I guess that's where I got my love of horror from. My mom on the other hand was up for whatever.


Anyways to make a long story short when the young woman entered the dark room with a candle and that old woman appeared from the shadows I nearly jumped out of my skin and my Dad made me go to bed without watching the rest of the movie.

I eventually watched the whole movie when I was older,  to this day I remember the jolt the sudden appearance of that old woman gave me. That was horror!

What was your first horror movie?


2 comments:

  1. I love The House on Haunted Hill and Vincent Price. I was raised by my grandmother and I remember one Halloween watching Psycho with her on AMC. As a kid that was afraid of everything I was naturally terrified, but as I got older it became one of my favorite horror movies. I find that I enjoy older horror movies more than the newer ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the older horror movies were better, there was no CGI to fall back on so they had to work the story to get the scare. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete