Fridays 5 with Karen Cogan

A native of Houston, TX, Karen spent her early years enjoying life along the Gulf Coast.  After high school, she attended Texas A&M as well as the University of Houston where she obtained a B.S. in early childhood education. She has written numerous articles and stories, books for children and novels for adults.  She particularly enjoys writing contemporary and historical romance.

She now lives in the Southwest with her family and assorted pets.

1.) When did you first get serious about writing?
A.) I have had a life-long love of writing. However, I got serious when I quit a teaching job to stay home with the first of my four children. I wouldn’t say I had a lot more time, but the inspiration bloomed and I wrote my first novel. Over the years, I wrote many articles and short stories, and more books.

2.) What is the hardest part for you about writing?
A.)  The hardest part is finding time. It is also hard to juggle the actual writing with the publicity aspect. I am not as literate as I would like to be with aspects of getting my work before the public.


Click on cover above for more info or to order!

Synopsis:
In this sweet Regency romance, life in India is idyllic for Anne Tyler and her younger brother, Jeremy until the deaths of their parents shatter their world. They are sent to England to live with a grandfather that neither remembers. However, as the years pass, the kindly man proves a balm for their wounded hearts. His death, when it comes, is a cruel blow.
Though his will leaves the estate to Jeremy, the boy is not yet of age. His grandfather’s nephew, a man with a mysterious past, is named guardian of the property and soon arrives to take up his duty. Unfortunately, the man has a son who is both evil and cunning. Since he stands to inherit the estate should Jeremy die, he will stop at nothing to get his hands on the property.
Murder and threats of murder soon haunt their every move. Standing between them and disaster is the handsome Lord Westerfield, a man who promises to defend Anne and Jeremy, even at risk to his own life.


3.) How did you feel upon publication of your first completed project?
A.) I was elated when the editor called and offered a contract. I couldn’t wait to get the print copies of my new book, The Secret of Castlegate Manor. When they finally arrived, I stared at the shiny book jackets and felt like I’d just had a new baby.

4.) What is more important to you, story, or character? Why?
A.)  Though they are both necessary ingredients, I believe character is probably the more important element. I remember many well-done characters from books I’ve read better than I remember the stories.

B.)  ) What is a typical day like in your world?
A.)  I get up and take a walk around the neighborhood. If it is during the school year, I go to work as a teacher. When I get home, I ride horse back and feed our horses. I may get to see the grandkids for a while. I cook supper and clean up. At last, it’s time to sit down and write. I usually spend two to three hours each night on my current book projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment