Death and the Self Published Author

During the time I would have normally been writing my blog post for today I was in the hospital emergency room connected to several machines that were monitoring my vitals as my wife sat by my side waiting to find out what was wrong with me. I'd gone to bed the night before with a slight twinge in my chest, by midnight that slight twinge had become a steel band that made it difficult to breath. Fifteen years earlier a close personal friend of mine had gone to bed the night before his death with a slight twinge in his chest, his wife told me about it afterwards. That memory coupled with the intense pain that was making it difficult to breath prompted me to go to the emergency room.

Turns out it was a pulled muscle in my chest and I will survive to write another day, but as I lay there facing my own mortality, in addition to worrying about my wife, I was worried about what was going to happen to my self publishing legacy. Being relatively new to all this, I've only been doing it since 2012, I don't have a massive back list of published titles, nor am I making much money at this time. But I'd like to see my family benefit from all of my hard work even if I'm not there to share it.

I recalled a post I once saw on J.A Konrath's blog, A Newbies Guide to Publishing, that I'd like to share with you today. So without further delay I give you J.A Konrath and Death and the Self Published Author.


2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was only a pulled muscle, but that still must have been scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia, it was a hell of a scare, but it made me stop and think too. I've been pushing myself pretty hard on the writing front to be the success I've always envisioned. I suddenly realized I could live with the fact that what I thought I wanted wasn't going to happen. It's all about the story now, told in my own words.

      Delete